“Trauma isn’t what happens to you, it’s what happens inside you.”Gabor Maté
This post highlights some of the resources by Dr. Gabor Maté I read, listened to, recently which I enjoyed immensely and helped me in gaining a better understanding of myself, my own trauma, coping mechanisms, and much more. I will keep on sharing my other learnings on healing, addiction, trauma, and recovery. If these resources help you in some ways, I’d love to hear about your experiences. Please feel free to email me or comment on this post.
A renowned speaker, and bestselling author, Dr. Gabor Maté is highly sought after for his expertise on a range of topics including addiction, stress and childhood development. Rather than offering quick-fix solutions to these complex issues, Dr. Gabor Maté weaves together scientific research, case histories, and his own insights and experience to present a broad perspective that enlightens and empowers people to promote their own healing and that of those around them.
The bestselling author of four books published in over twenty-five languages, Gabor is an internationally renowned speaker highly sought after for his expertise on addiction, trauma, childhood development, and the relationship of stress and illness. His books include In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters With Addiction; When the Body Says No; The Cost of Hidden Stress; Scattered Minds: The Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder; and (with Dr. Gordon Neufeld) Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers.
Please be sure to see the important disclaimer at the bottom of this post. Now, please enjoy!
- When The Body Says No In Psychotherapy: Highlights: Biases of western medicine, Childhood trauma and seeing an “ologist”, The fatal beliefs you need to drop NOW, The unconscious journey from state to trait, Illness can be a powerful teacher.
- How emotions affects our cognitive functioning: watch this to understand first : “what has happened to us” and then we can understand “what has happened to our children”. With this understanding, we can then be more aware of our own behaviors and challenges in our lives and thereafter we can decide if there is a need to seek intervention with the issue we have on hand.
- The Biology of Loss and Recovery: In this presentation, Dr. Gabor Maté discusses the impact of early childhood stress on the individual and societal levels, he also explores how to foster resilience.
- Conversation About Addiction with Gabor Maté and Arold Langeveld: Dr. Mate provides his expertise and vast working knowledge of the brain and child development and other issues related to addiction.
- Perinatal Services BC – Biology of Loss: Recognizing Impaired Attachments & Fostering Resilience: Dr. Gabor Maté illuminates the sources of developmental challenges, childhood and adult mental disorders, and physical health issues as originating in the prenatal, perinatal, and early childhood periods. This presentation focuses on how we can prevent maldevelopment through attuned parenting and restore and foster resilience in children already facing developmental challenges.
- Spiritual seeking, Addiction and the Search for Truth: Gabor Maté shares his perspective on spiritual seeking, addiction and the search for truth.
- Keynote ACES to Assets 2019 – Dr. Gabor Maté – Trauma as disconnection from the self: Gabor explores the theme of trauma as disconnection from the self and why relationships are central to the prevention and recovery of trauma.
Blogs I read:
- How to Build a Better Culture of Good Health: [Important notes]: link of diseases with emotional life patterns, self-imposed stress is a major risk factor for disease of all kinds, compulsive self-disregard and emotional repression, early childhood coping dynamics may result in adult illness and dysfunction.
- BEYOND DRUGS: The Universal Experience of Addiction: Addiction is manifested in any behavior that a person craves, finds temporary relief or pleasure in but suffers negative consequences as a result of, and yet has difficulty giving up.
Podcasts I listened to:
- Dr. Gabor Maté — New Paradigms, Ayahuasca, and Redefining Addiction (#298): “Trauma isn’t what happens to you, it’s what happens inside you.” I have already listened to this episode a few times and every time I uncover my own childhood trauma and try to attempt to understand the cause. I highly recommend to listen to this podcast with Tim Ferriss.
- When the Body Says No: The Costs of Hidden Stress: Learn how to prevent and heal illnesses related to hidden stress. Can a person literally die of loneliness? Is there a connection between the ability to express emotions and Alzheimer’s disease? Is there such a thing as a “cancer personality”? Stress and emotions play in an array of common diseases, including arthritis, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and multiple sclerosis.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Please note that Information shared in this post is for educational purposes only, and is not intended in any way as psychological treatment, advice or consultation of any kind. “if you are struggling with trauma and other mental health issues, please seek the treatment of a licensed mental health professional.
The Nishant Garg Show:
This show is about extracting information on Mindfulness, Personal Development, Spirituality. I am on a mission to spread Mindfulness and I’d love for you to join me in this movement. For any question, please contact me. If you have enjoyed listening to my podcasts, please subscribe to the new podcast updates on Itunes please provide your reviews on Itunes which will really help me. S
This podcast is brought to you by Friday Newsletter. If you’d like to learn more about what I am reading, new documentaries, what I am learning new, recent podcast updates, things I am experimenting with, or anything —which I share extensively in my weekly short and sweet “Friday Newsletter”. No spam ever! I hate that too!