“When we truly take care of ourselves and become fully present, we bring a quality of grace into every interaction.”
“Recognize that life itself is an incredible gift. It is a miracle that any of us are here. Sit with that for a moment. All of life is at any one moment on the fragile brink of non-existence. Behold the wonderment in the moment”-Terri Lonowski
Terri Lonowski earned a M.Ed. in Educational Psychology from the University of Nebraska and has made significant professional contributions throughout her career. These include serving as Chair of the American Counseling Association Foundation (philanthropic branch of the American Counseling Association with membership of over 40,000) and holding a gubernatorial appointment to the Nebraska State Workforce Investment Board.
As an expert consultant on US Department of Labor special projects, Terri has been at the leading edge of innovation, evolving nationwide workforce initiatives. She had the distinct privilege and honor of participating in two events held at The White House, showcasing innovative projects which embraced empathy and Design Thinking (a change management methodology).
She created Soulful Listening™ by incorporating Active Listening and Empathy elements, then added missing pieces, to address communication disconnect in the workplace and in personal relationships. Terri is a practitioner of Soulful Listening™, a Master Facilitator, and highly sought-after national and international speaker.
This podcast is brought to you by Newsletter. If you’d like to learn more about what I am reading, new documentaries, what I am learning new, recent podcast updates, things I am experimenting with, or anything —which I share extensively in my weekly short and sweet “Friday Newsletter”. No spam ever! I hate that too!
Connect with Terri:
Stream the audio here
Resources that helped me in the preparation
- Terri Lonowski: Emotional Intelligence: What It Is, Why It Is So Essential, And How We Can Increase It
- Creating Deeper Relationships With Soulful Listening; Terri Lonowski
- Guiding questions like:
- How might I be of service and what’s my next best step?
- Where am I stuck and how might I get unstuck?
- Who might I turn to for trusted and valued feedback?
- Who is Jacob Lonowsky and why do you consider him wise?
- How did Jacob learn to cultivate this wisdom, emotional intelligence, and listening to the inner voice? Was it something you cultivated into him or did he just learn from other places?
- While growing up, did you suggest Jacob some of the books or resources to learn from? Could you explain on that please?
- What are the ways to practice and cultivate the relationship of emotional intelligence between a parent and a child?
- What do you mean by moving body? Do you go to the gym?
- Could you elaborate on your meditation practice? What does it look like on an everyday basis?
- How do you process gratitude when it may not flow naturally? And how do you reflect back?
- In soulful listening, you mentioned that first element is self care, second element is being in the present moment. And what are the other elements?
- Could you give us a concrete example of practicing empathy? If we are having a conversation dialogue with another person, how can we reflect back to another person that they have been heard? And what they’re telling us is being understood by us? So what is that conversation look like in terms of templates or anything that you might want to share with us?
- What is the difference between sympathy and empathy?
- Where do you think people struggle the most in out of these five elements of soulful listening?
- You participated in two events at the white house under the Obama administration. Could you share more on that project and what was it like to be in the white house?
- Can you tell us some of the resources about empathy, how we can learn more about empathy and cultivate more of it in our daily lives?
- Meditation is one of the practices to self-regulate our emotions. So, Terry, do you recommend any other practice to work on our emotions?
- How do you adjust your life when you move from one place to another place?
- When you take a particular place to live – do you have certain rules and parameters to feel a sense of belonging? What does it look like to pick a place?
- What do you mean by behold the wonderment in the moment?
- How do you personally deal with loneliness if ever you get lonely?
- Why do you recommend the book The prophet by Kahlil Gibran?
- What does it mean to have an heart opening essence?
- and much more
The Nishant Garg Show:
This show is about helping you live a fulfilled life and my job on this show is to sit with the world class experts to extract the practices, routines and habits to help you live a fulfilled and abundant life. For any question, please contact me.
If you have enjoyed listening to my podcasts, please subscribe to the new podcast updates on Itunes please provide your reviews on Itunes which will really help me. Subscribe to the Newsletter. You won’t be spammed! I hate spams too! You will receive only one email every Friday on the latest published podcasts.
If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts? It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in growing this little show. I also love reading reviews! Instructions are: a)If you’re on an iPhone, simply scroll down to “Reviews” inside the Podcasts app. b) If you’re on a desktop, click on “Listen on Apple Podcasts” under “The Nishant Garg Show.” Once inside iTunes, click on “Ratings and Reviews” and you’re set.